Friday, July 5, 2013

The GFC fiasco

So after the mucho fuss in blog-land in recent months it seems that google friend connect hasn't retired - yet. The whole issue of google retiring google reader and several other products really threw pretty much every blogger. Will GFC retire, will it not?

The truth of the matter is that the GFC homepage is no longer available - that's this one - as you can see you get an error message from google +.
One thing we do know is that google is cleaning house and streamlining their products. We also know that GFC was available on non-blogger sites until 2011. So it's a pretty good guess that GFC will retire at some point. The only question is when? and will google bring out an alternative?

The whole thing did indeed confuse the daylights out of me and pretty much every blogger.

So I have come to the conclusion that the extra methods of following my blog - which I added when this all came to light - can't do any harm. They could in fact help, if and when GFC does retire.

The only thing I can add is... my own blog subscription reading list did disappear from my blogger.com dashboard for a few days after July 1st. My reading list has returned but I found that I preferred reading the blogs I follow on bloglovin.com
as the sample texts and pictures from each post is bigger and laid out in a pleasing way. Plus I get the daily email which includes new blog posts for the day. I like that!

1 comment:

  1. oh I never checked again if my reading list came back!

    ReplyDelete